5 Node JS Examples
More and more companies began to adopt this technology, and eventually, it became the first choice for many companies, including for many of these high traffic, high profile production projects. This open source server framework is perfect for web applications requiring chat engine or team collaboration.
Here are some reasons why developers prefer using this JS runtime Environment:
- It can scale well – The framework lets you build APIs. It also lets you handle lots of I/O driven requests.
- Space and freedom – Node.js is totally unopinionated, and it gives you the freedom and space to do according to your wish. It doesn’t impose any restrictions, and is installed as a bare minimum so you can manipulate it according to requirement.
- Real time web apps – The framework is equipped with an event-driven architecture. This is why you can create chat applications within your app, and also the reason why it is good for creating gaming apps. When both the server-side and client-side scripts are written in JS, everything goes smoothly, and there is total synchronisation.
The popular frameworks
Node.js really shines in the department of full-stack frameworks. These MVC frameworks are bundled with persistence libraries, scaffolding, web socket, template engine and a lot more to help you build real-time scalable web apps.
Here are some of the most noted ones.
- Express.js – This is a really important framework of Node.js, because it was this framework that took the development framework to the next level.
- Hapi.js – The solution for developers when they want to build meaningful and high quality applications. It’s very stable and secure and perfect for deploying applications correctly.
- Mojito.js – A remarkable framework that you would want when you are developing high performance & standard cross-platform app. It can run on both server side and client side application.
- Meteor Node.js – If your aim is to create and develop web and mobile applications, especially real-time apps for your clients, this would be a good choice.
- Socket.io – This is a framework where you can create real time web applications and allows event-driven interaction between a browser and node.js.
Tello is a famous collaboration tool that you can use to organise your project into various boards so people situated in different parts of the globe can be a part of it. It will let all the team members participate in a project, even if they are not physically present at the office. Changes made in Trello will reach people listening in at the appropriate channels.
The company uses a modified version of Socket. io client and server libraries and makes it possible to keep several thousands of open Web Sockets on their servers, thereby saving memory and cost (in terms of CPU usage). When a member makes changes to the project, this would be reflected on to the server processes and then propagated to the browser you are using. All this is usually done within seconds and with very minimal latency.
Websites like Walmart, the huge, American multinational retail co-operation uses Hapi.js for maintaining its website. The company’s investment in the framework has been a very expensive move as it is open source, but they do have their reasons for using this. They wanted a framework that enables developers to concentrate on writing reusable application logic so they don’t have to spend time building infrastructure.
They preferred a solution that would help them improve their codes to suit their requirements. It is also helpful when you need a whole community of developers for the upkeep of the code, and this will remove the burden from the developers who actually wrote the code. Paypal also uses this framework.
With its features like content negotiation, dynamic view helpers, application level view options, environment based configuration, robust routing. This framework has already scaled new heights, making it an obvious choice for MySpace. The website has already become a complex site where people can share music, book tickets for shows or movies, and a lot more.
Uber, the ride sharing platform was a huge success right from the beginning. As you know, the company depends heavily on the functionality of its website because their goal was to make transportation available to everyone, everywhere.
The incredible matching system that Uber has built, runs on this framework environment. Being an open source server side technology, there is no wonder why it has been able to keep up with the changing demands in the blink of an eye.
Node.js is fast becoming one of the most popularly chosen languages for web application development, and many medium-to- big sized companies are already using it successfully.
The scalability feature of the framework provides a non-blocking I/O API, and this helps in the application’s throughput as well. Commands executed in parallel, Event Loop, synchronous and intensive operations add to innate capabilities of this runtime environment.
Flickr.com / Outsider.ne.kr / Marcus
The author: Reema Oamkumar is engaged as a thought leader at www.Software-Developer-India.com which is a part of the YUHIRO Group. YUHIRO is a German-Indian enterprise which provides programmers to IT companies, agencies and IT departments.